Getting software to install on Fedora, Ubuntu or really any linux distro can be a slight challenge sometimes. Here is how to install the 2X Client on Fedora 22 x64 bit. The 2X Client is a x86 build so you will need to install the i686 libs on your installation.
- Download 2X Client
- Install i686 libs
- dnf install libcups.i686 cups-libs.i686 libSM.i686 libfontcontig.i686 fontconfig.i686 libXcursor.i686
- Confirm all dependencies have been met
- $ ./opt/2X/Client/bin/2XClient
There may be additional dependencies on your system that you may need to install. Feel free to message me if you are having an issue and I can try to help you out.
Displaying Hidden Startup Applications
Starting with Ubuntu 12.04 the ‘Startup Applications’ manager now only displays a sub-set of applications to control at startup with the remaining applications being hidden. To make the hidden applications visible in the manager, follow these steps:
- Open the terminal by pressing (Ctrl + Alt + t) or searching for “Terminal” in the Unity bar.
- Copy and paste the following command into the terminal and press the ‘enter’ key.
sudo sed -i "s/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g" /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
If asked you will also have to provide your user account password to perform the command, if asked simply enter your user password and press ‘enter’ again (note: When entering your password, the terminal will not display characters on-screen, such as the asterisk ‘*’, for security reasons).
- Close the terminal and now open ‘Startup Applications’ from the power menu or searching for it in the unity bar.
Hidden startup applications will now be displayed in the ‘Startup Applications’ manager as slightly greyed out. You can now continue to edit which programs start upon startup, including any hidden applications.